I had a literature search request while on the HSL reference desk yesterday that led me to a database I'd never used before, but I think it would be a good one to add to our toolkit for certain literature searches.
The client wanted articles on translation/interpretation services in health care, and I thought I would search a linguistics database as well as the usual suspects. Linguistic and Language Behavior Abstracts turns out to have all kinds of interesting health-related content. I found some relevant articles to my search, but also turned up lots of stuff from the speech-language literature (not sure what the overlap with CINAHL would be here), and lots of great stuff on topics like doctor-patient communication and health literacy. If we are asked to search on these topics, it would definitely be a good idea to include a search of this database. In addition to keyword searching, it seems to have a fairly good set of index terms.
There's another database called Linguistics Abstracts online, but it appears more academic in nature, and its so-called Advanced Search doesn't offer the option of building very complex search strings, so I gave up on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment