Friday, January 27, 2012

Which citation manager works best with an iPad?

I'm on the HSL reference desk this afternoon, and received this interesting question. Which is the best? I left it in the hands of the client but thought I would share what I discovered and invite others to weigh in:

Mendeley:

  • Has an app for iPad (and iPhone, iPod touch)

  • The app is pretty awesome, syncs automatically with the web version of Mendeley

  • Whatever PDFs you have synced will be stored in your app BUT you can't save new PDFs to the app, it must be saved to the desktop version of Mendeley

  • Can access SFX links through the "web version" of the record


Refworks:

  • Has a mobile version of the site, which is nice for smart phones BUT for iPad you are better off using the full version, this renders nicely on the iPad

  • Don't get sfx links with mobile version (at least I couldn't see them)

  • I said that this citation manager was best supported by staff and by vendor


Endnote:

  • Has a mobile version of site

No comments:

Post a Comment